Application Insights gives you the deep diagnostics and performance information you need to take control of your web apps, and bring sanity back to your life. Get actionable insights through application performance management and instant analytics.
What can you do with Application Insights ?
- Detect and diagnose exceptions and application performance issues
- Get answers to your tough questions, and take your applications to the next level
- Detect trends in application performance and behavior, identify usage patterns, and get fast answers to probing questions about your website performance
- Monitor Azure websites, including those hosted in containers, plus websites on-premises and with other cloud providers
- Seamlessly integrate with your DevOps pipeline using Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), GitHub, and webhooks
- Quickly get started from within Visual Studio, or monitor existing applications without redeploying
Azure Application Insights is included with Visual Studio. You get automatic instrumentation for ASP.NET applications and application telemetry data right out of the box—including usage, exceptions, requests, performance, and logs.
There are two offerings for Application Insights – Basic, and Enterprise.
With Basic, you pay based on the volume of telemetry your application sends, with a 1 GB free allowance per month. This free data allowance gives you a great way to try out Application Insights as you get started, and it also allows you to use Application Insights for free on an ongoing basis for debugging and low-volume applications.
In the Enterprise pricing option, you pay for the number of nodes that host your application, and you get a daily allowance of data per node. Additional data beyond the daily allowance is charged per GB. A “node” is a server, or Platform-as-a-Service instance that runs your application, and from which we receive telemetry.
The Enterprise option also provides unlimited, continuous export of data at no extra charge.
With Application Insights there is no upfront cost, no termination fees, and you only pay for what you need.
In my next post I’ll show you how easy it is to setup Application Insights with your application.